I want to live in Portugal, but I know that there are several types of Visas. Which is most suitable for me?

I want to live in Portugal, but I know that there are several types of Visas. Which is most suitable for me?

Other Portugal Visas 

Portugal D7 Visa


The D7 Visais also known as the Retirement or Passive Income Visa but is also suitable for remote workers and digital nomads. The Portugal D7 Visa was introduced in 2007 and requires no investment. The income required is also a lot more affordable.

This visa is for non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizens who want residence in Portugal and have a reasonable passive income. This income can come from real estate, a retirement pension, a salary, etc.

The minimum passive income required is €8,460 per year for the main applicant. For a spouse, you must add 50% to this (€4,230) and for a dependent child, you must add 30% to this (€2,538). Therefore, for a couple with one child, you would need around €15,300 a year to be eligible for the D7 Visa.

For this visa, you must spend at least 16 months in Portugal during the first 2 years. 


The Portugal D2 Visa 


The Portugal D2 Visa could be the right path to take if you are an entrepreneur, freelancer, or independent service provider from outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland looking to reside in Portugal.

You might be eligible for a D2 Visa if you want to start a business or startup in Portugal, transfer your existing one to Portugal, as well as invest in a business in Portugal.

This visa is catered to small and medium-sized businesses to raise foreign investment to develop the Portuguese economy.

To apply, you must put together a viable business plan that will be evaluated in terms of its economic, technological, and cultural impact. You can set up any business, from a restaurant to a tech startup.

In terms of cost, you must invest in the company’s share capital, which immigration firms advise should be at least €5,000. You must also show that you have the financial ability to sustain yourself while living in Portugal.

This visa allows for family reunification, where your family members are granted the same residency rights as you. Like the D7 Visa, you can apply for permanent resident after 5 years and citizenship after 6 years. To be eligible for permanent residence, you must spend at least 6 consecutive months in Portugal within those 5 years


Digital Nomad Visa


Those outside the EU and EEA can apply for the Portugal Digital Nomad Visa. You must also have an income that is 4x the Portuguese minimum wage, so €2,800 per month. Moreover, you need to be employed by a company outside of Portugal or be self-employed.


The D3 Visa is the residence visa for highly qualified activity


For whom?
It is considered highly qualified, the activity whose exercise requires specialized technical skills, of an exceptional character or an adequate qualification for the respective exercise.

However, when the highly qualified activity is not carried out in favor of a company certified under the Tech Visa Program, the interested party should resort to the general regime for granting a residence permit for highly qualified workers.



Finance & Law

® OUR HOME PORTUGAL All Rights Reserved.
Powered by Casafari CRM
(0) (0)
+351 930 406 103 +351 919 487 105
Our website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using the website, you confirm that you accept the use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy.   Learn More